181 Abercromby Street, Glasgow. G40 2DE. Demolished.
The Cottage Bar. 1991.
There has been public house on this site since the early 1840s. John Orr was the first licensee, he also ran a pub at 42 Stevenson Street, Calton.
In 1874. John Craig occupied the premises until the end of the 1870s. In 1884 Campbell & McLellan was trading from the site. A year later John McLellan was sole partner and continued serving the public here until the 1920s. During his stay as a publican John moved house several times from a small flat in Slatefield Street to Onslow Drive before settling in plush accommodation in Grantlea Terrace in North Mount Vernon.
James Dorman a well known east end publican took over the business around 1930 he too stayed in Onslow Drive.
Mr & Mrs James Dorman. 1955.
Mr & Mrs Dorman celebrated their golden wedding on February 28th 1955 at the Gordon Restaurant in the city of Glasgow. Amongst the guests was Father Watt, parish priest of Saint Anne’s, Abercromby Street. Mr Dorman had been in the licensed trade for 45 years, 30 of them as a licence holder. They were married in Belfast and had a family of 5 children. James was President of the Glasgow Vintners and a Director of the Glasgow & District Licensed Trade Defence Association for over 20 years. Mr Dorman sadly passed away a year later in 1956.
Dorman’s public house. 1936.
The Cottage bar is now completely demolished 2008. Another old Glasgow pub has been raised to the ground.
1960 Mrs K Dorman.
1967-1973 Patrick Eugene McVeigh.
1991 James Dougan.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.