26 Bedford Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.
The Double Eagle was situated at the corner of Bedford Street and Nicholson Street formerly Warwick Street. There was a public house on this site since 1873, run by spirit merchant licensee John F Neville, he also ran a pub on Wallace Street at Centre Street. Mr Neville sold the pub to David Anderson in 1883. Mr Anderson employed a barman John Holmes in the 1890s, Mr Holmes then took the important position as charge-hand. On the death of his employer Mr Holmes bought the pub in 1905. John served the locals here until the end of the Second World War.
Mr Patrick Quinn, Peter McCrudden and Mr O D Donnelly were other well known publicans to own this popular establishment. The pub was demolished in the City Council’s redevelopment scheme in 1969.
The Photograph above was taken in 1952, customers of the Double Eagle and friends of Mr Donnelly, gathered outside the pub on a Sunday morning. The folk were waiting patiently for the bus to arrive to take them on a days outing to one of the popular resorts in Scotland. This was popular amongst the publicans in Glasgow during the summer months as the pubs didn’t open on a Sunday.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.