48 Clyde Place, Glasgow.
The old Gael Vaults was founded by James Walsh in 1866, but under a different name the “Sydney Arms.” Mr Walsh also resided in Clyde Street with his wife and children, Mrs Walsh succeeded her husband as licensee, she sold the business in 1879 to Patrick Lyons. After a few other landlords the pub had a face-lift, the interior was reconstructed by Wine & Spirit Merchant James McSporran, a new name was put above the door too, which was McSporran’s Bar.
Mr McSporran continued to serve the locals here until 1892, Robert Struthers then acquired the business and changed the name to the Gael Vaults. Mr Struthers’ father was a well-known publican in the Bridgegate. Before taking over the Gael Vaults Robert was employed in Sammy Dow’s. After five years in Clyde Place Mr Struthers sold the pub to James Black, who continued as licensee until 1902.
The next license holder was a gentleman called John C Douglas, he paid an annul rent of £49.00. Mr Douglas was the last publican on the premises which closed down in 1909. A Tin-Plate & Zinc works moved in which was owned by Alex and Robert Holmes. In 1899 there was eight pubs on Clyde Place, this number was halved by the time the Gael Vaults closed down.
Other well known pubs on Clyde Place was McWilliam’s Vaults, Matthew Robin & Son, David Ross’s, Ireland’s Bar and the Neptune.
4 Clyde Place, Andrew McWilliam, he also owned pubs at 570 Rutherglen Road, 16-18 Maxwell Street, 12 Bridge Street, 64 East Howard Street.
5 Clyde Place, John Munro owned the Kintyre Bar.
35 Clyde Place sat at the corner of 2 Centre Street and was owned by David Ross, he also owned pubs at 90 North Woodside Road, 198 Kelvinhaugh Street, 35 Possil Road, 306 Argyle Street, 43 Grove Street and 78 Mitchell Street.
53 Clyde Place, Neptune Bar, Andrew Williamson.
61 Clyde Place, James Ireland owned Ireland’s Bar.
64 Clyde Place, James McWilliam, he also owned the Strathduie Bar, 3a-5 Stirling Street, now Blackfriar Street.
License Holders for 48 Clyde Place..
1909-1903 John C Douglas.
1902-1897 James Black.
1897-1893 Robert Struthers.
1892-1883 James McSporran.
1880 Charles Harris.
1879 Patrick Lyons.
1878 Mrs Walsh.
1875-1866 James Walsh.