147 Oxford Street, Glasgow.
To read the history of this pub Click here.
Mr James Erskine.
James Erskine was employed by James Henderson as manager of the GlenLeven Bar in Argyle Street. His son also James was a talented architect and planned the out-lay of the GlenLeven Bar in which his father managed. James Erskine was married to Maggie and together had a large family of ten children of which one twin died.
Mr Erskine worked hard and ran a good public house, he purchased from his employer’s the GlenLeven Bar, 149-51 Oxford Street in 1904. James never changed the name of the pub and ran it very successfully until the owners of the building wanted him out just before the First World War. This was devastating as he had not long refurbished the premises, this blow could have cost him a fortune, however luck was on his side, as the shop next door at no. 147 was empty, this became the GlenLeven Bar, many of his customers never realised that the pub had moved next door.
Mr Erskine was also a master Printer with his own business in Gourock, he printed the local newspaper the Greenock Telegraph. He was also one of the founders of the Greenock Co-operative Society. He opened another pub in Kilbarchan also named the GlenLeven, he gave this pub up in 1935 a year before he died. The pub on Oxford Street was sold in 1923 to publican George Maitland.
License Holders for the GlenLeven, Oxford Street
1871-1886 John Algie.
1890 Eden Lethan.
1892 -1903 James Henderson.
1904-1923 James Erskine.
1923 George Maitland.
1927 Andrew Francis Flaherty.
In 1899 there were 7 public houses and 1 grocers business on Oxford Street.
Forgotten pubs on Oxford Street…
The Garry Owen Bar.
The Kings Arms.
The Heraghty Inn.