20 Stirling Street, Glasgow. Now Blackfriar Street. Demolished.
The King’s Head Inn was situated on this Street.
The first listing for the King’s Head Inn was in 1828 the landlord was Mr James McKerracher, a Vintner and Stabler at 20 Stirling Street. However he is mentioned in 1824 as a Vintner & Stabler at 32 Stirling Street. The following year his business was at 20 Stirling Street.
James continued as landlord of the King’s Head Inn until 1831, he then went on to run the White Hart Inn at 4 Dunlop Street.
Next to run the King’s Head Inn in 1833 was a lady called Mrs D Cameron, she also ran the stabling and carrier quarter. The following year Alexander McPhail was running the King’s Head Inn. Alexander continued as Landlord until his death in 1846, his wife then took over the running of the Inn until 1851.
The Inn was then taken over by John Drummond later on in the same year. John was not just the new landlord by was also a Police Dung contractor, letting out the back of the premises for several carrier quarter’s. The last listing of the King’s Head Inn was in 1857 still run by John Drummond, the following year he is found running his Police Dung Contractor, Stables and Offices at 6 North Wallace Street, he was then living at 10 Canning Place in the east end of the city. The old building of the King’s Head Inn was demolished around 1899.
Thanks to David A Stevenson
Do you know anything about this old Inn? If so please leave a comment.