408 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3JD
This pub used to be called Bar Budda.
408 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3JD
This pub used to be called Bar Budda.
69 Govan Road corner of 1 Eadlesham Street, Govan, Glasgow.
69 Govan Road was situated at the corner of 1 Eaglesham Street in the south side of the City. A pub has been here since the late 1800s, the address was then 103-05 Govan Road at the corner of Camden Place.
One of the first licensee was a Wine & Spirit Merchant called George Hutcheson, he lived at “Rathillet”, 44 Terregles Avenue, Govan. Mr Hutcheson continued to run the pub until 1903. The pub was then taken over by Thomas Ferguson. His rent was £110 per annum, his home was at 10 Dounce Gardens. Thomas ran the business well into the 1930s.
The next licensee was a well-known and respected member of the Scottish Licensed Trade Mr James McAulay. Mr McAulay also ran a pub at 204-06 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow, this pub still stands today and known as the Standard Bar. Still in the same family Andrew McAulay was licensee in 1960.
A number of trade personalities are seen in this group, pictured on the occasion of the annual Burns Supper of the Thistle Burns Club in the Grosvenor Restaurant, Glasgow, 1962. Left to right in the front row are James K Webster, (Royalty Burns Club) his premises were at 27 Norfolk Street; D A Maclean, (president of the Royalty Burns Club); A M Loudon, (president Thistle Club); R W B Eadie, (past president Thistle Club); J Young, (secretary Thistle Club); J H Wylie, (vice-president Royalty Club) of Booth’s Gin. The group also included D Mclean, St. Mungo Vintners; M Haxton, (past president Royalty Club) he had the Montgomery Arms Bar Hotel, East Kilbride; A McAulay, (Royalty Burns Club) he had bar 69, Govan Road; R Meiklem, (Royalty Club); J McAulay, (Royalty Club) Carmunnock; A E Kilgore of Cantrell and Cochrane; Councillor W Cockburn, (Royalty Club); J McIntosh, (secretary Royalty Club) of G & C Moore Ltd.
This group photograph was taken at the annual Clyde cruise of the Royalty Burns Club in the summer of 1966. In front row Mr Walter Myron, president of the Club and owner of Sloan’s, Argyll Arcade; Bailie W Cockburn; Standing committee members Mr A McAulay, Carmunnock; Mr H McCrostie, (Whitbread); Mr J McAulay, Carmunnock; Mr D A McLean, (Coronation Bar); Mr J McIntosh, vice president (Gordon’s Gin); Mr C R Blues, secretary (Dunn & Moore Sales); Mr W G Bennett (The Lochinvar); Mr J Wylie president; Mr W M Johnston (The Charter Bar, Tollcross); and Mr R Meiklem (Montgomerie Arms, East Kilbride).
Members of the Royalty Burns Club 1968.
Back row A McAulay, R T Grier, H McCrostie, W G Bennett, C Blues.
Front row M Haxton past President, Walter Myron past president, J McIntosh President and R Meiklem.
20 Stirling Street, Glasgow. Now Blackfriar Street. Demolished.
The King’s Head Inn was situated on this Street.
The first listing for the King’s Head Inn was in 1828 the landlord was Mr James McKerracher, a Vintner and Stabler at 20 Stirling Street. However he is mentioned in 1824 as a Vintner & Stabler at 32 Stirling Street. The following year his business was at 20 Stirling Street.
James continued as landlord of the King’s Head Inn until 1831, he then went on to run the White Hart Inn at 4 Dunlop Street.
Next to run the King’s Head Inn in 1833 was a lady called Mrs D Cameron, she also ran the stabling and carrier quarter. The following year Alexander McPhail was running the King’s Head Inn. Alexander continued as Landlord until his death in 1846, his wife then took over the running of the Inn until 1851.
The Inn was then taken over by John Drummond later on in the same year. John was not just the new landlord by was also a Police Dung contractor, letting out the back of the premises for several carrier quarter’s. The last listing of the King’s Head Inn was in 1857 still run by John Drummond, the following year he is found running his Police Dung Contractor, Stables and Offices at 6 North Wallace Street, he was then living at 10 Canning Place in the east end of the city. The old building of the King’s Head Inn was demolished around 1899.
Thanks to David A Stevenson
Do you know anything about this old Inn? If so please leave a comment.
31 South Portland Street, Gorbals, Glasgow. Demolished.
Mr William Neilson. 1887.
William Neilson was born in Glasgow in the 1840s. After leaving school he learned the trade of Marine engineering. After his apprenticeship he went to the United States of American and Canada and held responsible positions in some of the principal Railways both in the States and the Dominion. After several years he went to Peru, he was for twelve years employed on land and sea, principally on Sugar and Rum Plantations. While in Peru he was entrusted with the charge of the engineering department and held in high esteem by his employers as a most capable engineer. One of the most exciting episodes in his life was the prominent part he was compelled to take in the engagements between the Chileans and Peruvians.
While on the plantation of Mr Swaine, a Scotsman, they were repeatedly harassed by one side or the other, and it was only by payments of large sums of money that the property was saved from destruction by the marsauders, who on one occasion, killed upwards of 1200 China-men employed on the estate. On several of these occasions Mr Neilson was in great danger of his life, and had to take refuge on British ships. In these revolutionary wars that convulsed the country, he had on many occasions to hoist the British flag for protection; but the most terrible scene, of which he was an eye witness, was the capture of Sima by the Chileans, when seven thousand Peruvians and five thousand Chilieans were slaughtered in the streets of the town, and it was only by the intervention of the foreign Consuls that further scenes of horror and atrocity were avoided. After this he came back to Scotland.
The King’s Arms corner of Oxford and South Portland Street.
On his return he opened a public house in South Portland Street at the corner of Oxford Street. He had great knowledge of the west coast of South America which made him an authority on some parts of that country.
William Neilson’s pub became known as the Kings Arms, a well known local in the Gorbals. The pub was taken over in 1896 to wine and spirit merchant Robert Shields. George and John MacLachlan of Castle Bars owned this property and leased the business to various publicans for many years. Mr Shields paid an annul rent of £90 to the MacLachlan brothers.
Robert Shields resided at 12 Lorne Terrace, Maryhill and travelled daily to his pub on South Portland Street before going to his other premises at 155 Queen Street (Crammond Bar).
During the First World War the pub was taken over by Alexander Young who continued to serve the locals until his death during the second world war. His wife Mary then took over the licence.
James Mulholland will still be remembered by many as landlord during the 1960s, he also owned a pub at 20 Greenhaugh Street, Govan. The last publican to run the pub was a Mr Whyte, he continued running the pub until it was finally closed down and demolished in the 1970s.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.