The Park Bar.
112 Maitland Street, Glasgow.
The Park Bar was situated at the corner of Maitland Street and Dobbie’s Loan.
This part of old Glasgow was embraced what was known as the Northern. This locality was eminently the home of the working class and abound with relics of old Glasgow. Some of the city’s oldest licensed premises were in this area, amongst them the Northern House at the corner of Maitland Street and Dobbie’s Loan, which had been in the Drummond family for generations.
The first of the Drummond’s who held the licence was John, a smart and robust gentleman who never was impeded by obstacles. He lived on the premises at the time. In the olden days this was the favourite rendezvous of the canal men who travelled between Glasgow and Edinburgh and long before the Forbes MacKenzie Act, this old house flourished and prospered, in those times it was not unusual for Mr Drummond to remain open for three days and nights at a stretch during the Fair week. He became a well known and respected citizen of Glasgow. In 1842 Mr Drummond the occupant of the house, secured from the Corporation of Glasgow the contract for the cleansing of the city. The citizens of Glasgow were satisfied with his work and in a short period of time he accumulated money.
In 1852 William Drummond acquired a licence for the premises, he traded as a Hay, Straw, Grain and a Spirit Merchant. He lived on the premises at this time, with his wife Jane and had a family of three daughters and a son James. When his son was old enough to join him in the running of this popular store, the name above the door changed to William Drummond & Son, with the Northern Bar in large letters on both streets. James took over the licence in 1894, by this time the hay, straw and grain disappeared and the business was turned into a full licensed premises, selling wines spirits and ales.
The Park Bar, 1933.
The old premises had to be refurbished as they were now very old, a new bar counter made from the finest mahogany was installed, the three rooms in the main part of the building had been altered to make two larger rooms to give more room at the bar. The three steps that used to lead up to the house had been removed and the floor was considerably lowered, the old plaster ceiling had to go and was replaced with a new wooden one. There were two entrances, one leading from Maitland Street and the family department from Dobbie’s Loan
In 1925 the pub was sold to Mr J Black who ran the business until the 1930s. The pub was then known as the Park Bar. The Innes family were the last licensee to run the pub. It survived until the early 1960s when most of the area was flattened.
Another view of the Park Bar. 1963.