178 West Nile Street, Glasgow.
There were licensed premises on this site since at least 1854 occupied by William Coventry.
Robert Lightbody Galloway took over the licence in 1882. Mr Galloway was born in Maryhill in 1840, he met his wife Jessie, who came from Fife and set up home in New City Road where they had a family of three daughters and a son. The Galloway’s were fortunate enough to have a domestic servant Susan Johnstone helping them out around the house.
Robert also owned another pub at 126 New City Road not far from his place of business, this old pub became known in the 1950s as the Red Lion which sat at the corner of Rosehall Street.
Mr Galloway paid an annul rent of £95 to ex-spirit merchant Gray Edmiston for the premises on West Nile Street and £125 to Thomas Galloway for the premises on New City Road. When Robert passed away, trustee, Alexander Smart took over the licence for both public houses.
During the 1930s east end publican William Ralston of the Gartocher Bar, Shettleston Road had financial interests in the Royalty. The Royalty was demolished in the early part of the 1960s.