43 Adelphi Street corner of 1 Muirhead Street, Glasgow. Demolished.
There has been licensed premises on this site since 1812. Joseph Braid acquired a licence for a grocer (Licensed Grocer) from 1812 until 1826. However he acquired a full license to sell Wines, Spirits and Beers and an Off Sales the following year. Joseph continued here until his death in 1831. His wife then continued the running of the business until 1843.
There was no-one trading from here until 1846, then wine and spirit merchant Robert Norris took over. Mr Norris only stayed a few years then well-known Wine and Spirit Merchant James White took over. James White was no new comer as he was already trading at 38 Crown Street. Business was good as Mr White moved house from Adelphi Street to better accommodation at Apsley Place, then to Martin House, Albert Road, Pollokshields. James White continued as landlord here until 1881, by this time James was trading from Adelphi Street, Crown Street and Eglinton Terrace, Crosshill.
Well known and respected wine and spirit merchant Peter McDonald took over from 1891 until it closed in 1901.
At the south end of the Stockwell bridge going eastwards by Adelphi Street once stood the Carlton Vintners Company. This very old howff stood at the corner of Adelphi and Muirhead Street for over one hundred years. The main entrance was to Adelphi Street while the sitting-rooms and family department entrance was to Muirhead Street. Externally the premises may be described as an ornament to the locality, while the bright coloured panels illustrative of “Faugh-a-Ballagh” and the “Lord of the Isle” from an interesting study to the passers by.
The windows were beaded with stained glass-work of an appropriate design, fitted to harmonise with the great lamp that over-hangs the entrance. The main bar counter ran the full length of the premises with a curve at each end and a door. The spirit rack and shelving behind the bar was tastefully decorated with ornamental casks which were ranged in order of the various whiskies, with the price marked in plain figures, also the name by which the whisky was distinguished.
The large barrels by a unique arrangement were connected by tubes to the spirit gauge, which gave the exact quantity contained in each, and the number of gills drawn from the tap each day or week, as may be desired.
The sitting-rooms, which may be entered without passing the whole length of the bar, was lofty and airy in summer, having suitable fireplaces for the colder weather. Moreover, the lighting was good, and for the internal fittings and embellishment they possess that cheerful aspect of a place just left the tradesmen’s hands. Both here and in front of the bar were several choice paintings and sketches, most of which were of peculiar interest to Glaswegian’s who can remember Old Hawkie, Wee Willie Wallace and other Glasgow Characters; while art of a more practical kind is illustrated by some handsome mirrors the work of H B Macphail, of London Street.
The beers were from Messrs. Allsopp’s, Thompson’s and Hill & Son’s (Burton,) breweries which were kept cool in the cellar underneath and raised to the bar by a beer engine. Findlater’s Stout was also kept on the premises. Good quality liquors were also kept including excellent blends of old Scotch whisky as the “Lord of the Isles,” “Royal Prince Charlie,” “Faugh-a-Ballagh,” and the family department did a fair trade on it’s own.
In 1875 James White was the landlord, he occupied another old pub at 56-58 Crown Street, Gorbals. Well known and respected member of the Scottish Licensed Trade, Peter McDonald acquired this old pub in the 1880s.
Also read about Peter McDonald other public house on Thistle Street. Click here.
Adelphi Street had another eleven public houses in 1899.
1 Adelphi Street at the corner of Main Street owned by George Hogg. (White Hart)
1-2 Adelphi Street owned by Annie Blackadder.
11 Adelphi Street owned by Allan Stewart.
14 Adelphi Street owned by Thomas Murphy.
18 Adelphi Street corner of Thistle Street owned by Thomas Russell.
21 Adelphi Street owned by Alexander Duthie.
27 Adelphi Street corner of Hospital Street owned by Alexander Kirkwood.
38 Adelphi Street owned by John McKenzie.
45-46 Adelphi Street owned by John Weir. (Old Burntfoot)
52 Adelphi Street corner of Main Street owned by William Millar.
116 Adelphi Street corner of Norman Street owned by John Mitchell.
1812 Joseph Braid.
1833 Mrs Braid.
1846 Robert Norris.
1851 James White.
1882 William Stark.
1889 Samuel Ferguson.
1891-1901 Peter McDonald.
Do you remember any of the old pubs in the Gorbals? If so please leave a comment.
Are you related to any of the licensees’? If so please get in touch or leave a comment.