570 Rutherglen Road, Gorbals, Glasgow. G5 0EW. Demolished.
There had been a public house on this sit since 1880. The first licensee was W Whyte & Co., wine and spirit merchants. Mr Whyte lived nearby at Louden Villa, Caledonia Road.
The business was taken over by Andrew McWilliam in 1885. Wine and Spirit Merchant Mr McWilliam ran a very successful business having five licensed premises including 4 Clyde Place, 16-18 Maxwell Street, 12 Bridge Street and 64 East Howard Street now just Howard Street.
Andrew McWilliam was part of a family of Wine and Spirit Merchants. The founder of the business was John & James McWilliam who had premises at 3a – 5 Stirling Street (now Blackfriar Street), many will know this popular bar as the Strathduie Bar. John and James traded under the title of J. & J. McWilliam.
James McWilliam was a prominent figure in the Scottish Licensed Trade he also owned another pub in West Street at the corner of 64 Clyde Place, and a licensed grocers business in Queen Street. Mr McWilliam was a member of the Parliamentary and Managing Committee of the Scottish Licensed Trade Defence Committee.
In 1899 the McWilliam family which included Alexander, Andrew, and James between them were in charge of 10 public houses., Alexander McWilliam was in charge of Samuel Dow’s public houses at 54-58 Mitchell Street, 1157-59 Pollokshaws Road at Kilmarnock Road and 226 Great Western Road.
Andrew McWilliam was licensee at 570 Rutherglen Road, 4 Clyde Place, 12 Bridge Street, 16-18 Maxwell Street and 64 East Howard Street.
James and John McWilliam had pubs at 1 West Street 64 Clyde Place and 3a-5 Stirling Street. James and John traded under the title of J & J McWilliam.
Andrew McWilliam owned some of the busiest pubs in the city including premises at 12 Bridge Street, 4 Clyde Place, 16-18 Maxwell Street, 18-22 Canon Street, 46 South Coburg Street, 382 Argyle Street and 64 East Howard Street.
The pub was taken over by Henry Reid in 1904. Henry Reid had a son William who became a partner in the business and traded as Henry Reid & Son, Henry also owned a pub at 16 Bridgeton Cross. William became one of the trustees and licensee of these premises when Henry passed away in 1911. William was also licensee for premises at 16 Bridgeton Cross. William continued in the these Gorbals premises until 1934.
Reid’s Bar, corner of 477 Caledonia Road and 570 Rutherglen Road. c 1912.
The licence was then taken over by Andrew Ross. Mr Ross was also trustee of Samuel Dow’s premises at 226 Great Western Road, 242 Clyde Street and his own pub at 160 Woodlands Road. Andrew Ross was living at Edenbank, 698 Clarkston Road, Netherlee. Andrew Ross gave up this pub just before the Second World War.
Matthew A McClure then took over. Matthew traded he until the 40s, followed by Alexander A McArthur.
One of the most well-known publicans from the 1960s was Donald A MacLean, he was licensee until the pub was pulled down by the City Council Redevelopment Scheme. Donald secured another pub 500 yards from the Coronation Bar and called it the Phoenix.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.