82 Gorbals Street, Gorbals Cross, Glasgow. Demolished.
There’s been a pub on this site since 1891 run by John Crawford.
This well known public house was situated on a prominent site at Gorbals Cross. Doyle’s Bar was established before the First World War in 1911 by wine and spirit merchant Joseph Doyle. However there has been a pub on this site since 1891 when John Crawford was Landlord. He occupied the premises until the early 1900s.
In 1910 Joseph J Duffy was trading from the pub and only had a licence to sell porter and ale, no spirits were allowed on the premises. The following year Mr Doyle took over the pub and he held a full public house licence. Joseph Doyle was very successful in the business and opened another pub two years later at 401 Govan Street now Ballater Street at the corner of Street.
The Doyle family held this licence until the pub finally closed down in the 1960s when the tenement building was then demolished. After Joseph the licence was held by Constance D Doyle, she held the certificate during the 1930s. After the Second World War Miss Josephine Doyle was licensee until the pub was demolished. She lived at 108 Albert Road in the south side of the city.
Thanks to Norrie McNamee for the images.
1960 Josephine Doyle.
1947 Josephine Doyle.
1937 Constance Doyle.
1919 Joseph Doyle.
1911 Joseph Doyle.
1910 Joseph Duffy (porter & ale only).
1902 Joseph Crawford.
1891 John Crawford.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.