222 Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow.
The Prince of Wales was built in the 1850s and owned by Wine Merchant and Portioner James Maxwell. When Mr Maxwell passed away his wife Mary became license holder and sold the pub in the late 1860s. William Auchterlonie took over the pub in 1871. Mr Auchterlonie was born in Kinghorn, Fife in 1820, he lived in Newhall Terrace with his wife Mary and six children before moving to better accommodation to Landerneau, Rutherglen. William’s son David and nephew David Simpson worked with him in the running of the pub. His nephew also stayed with him in the family home. Business prospered and William took over another pub at 205-07 Main Street, Gorbals ten years later.
Here the “Black Prince” and Andrha Osie used to reign supreme, the pub had the sign of the Prince of Wales feathers above the doorway.
His son David went on to become licensee of the Cot Bar at 182 London Road at the corner of Queen Mary Street, and a pub at 143 Broad Street
The pub stayed in the family until 1926, Jessie Auchterlonie was the last in the family to run the pub, she also held the certificate for 207-09 Main Street, Gorbals, on the south side of the city.
William J Donaghey took over the pub in 1927 until the 1930s, the last license holder was E Harper.