559-63 Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow.
This old pub sat at the corner of 2 Springfield Road.
Springfield Bar at the corner of Dalmarnock Road and Springfield Road. 1953.
Mr. Eric McRitchie, manager of the Springfield Bar, presenting toys and food to Mrs. Margaret Forrest, hon. secretary of the Rotary Centre for Spastics, 7 Queen’s Crescent, St. George’s Cross. 1972.
Springfield Bar on a sunny afternoon 1953.
There has been a public house on this site since 1873 occupied by Lochhead & Butler. The firm also had licensed premises at 27-29 Saltmarket Street since 1871.
Wine and Spirit Merchants Thomas Lochhead one of the partners resided at Greenhead Street while Dougald Butler resided at Newhall Terrace. He was involved in the Bridgeton Victualling Society. The firm sold the Dalmarnock Road premises in 1892 to David Clydesdale.
In 1910 Elizabeth M M Clydesdale took over the licence, this move is more than likely have been that David had passed away and his wife took over the running of the business.
After Elizabeth her daughter took over the pub from the 1930s to the 50s. In 1960 many will still remember John McKenna, he ran the pub for a brewers and also had the Top Spot Bar on Hope Street to look after.
One of the last licensees was Ian G Cleland who took over in 1972. Ian also had The Albany Bar at 513-15 Dalmarnock Road.