75 Main Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow. G40 1QB. Closed Down.
Shaw’s Bar. 1991.
This very old Bridgeton bar has closed it’s door many times in recent years. There was a pub on this site in 1849 occupied by publican Joseph Porter. Over the years many publicans have come and gone, some of them staying longer than others, Daniel Ward served the locals here for nearly 20 years, he also ran licensed premises in Crown Street, Thistle Street and East Clyde Street, he sold up in 1890 to Michael Cunningham, he too owned another pub on the Broomielaw. Mr Cunningham paid an annul rent of £39.00 to owner of the premises Colonel Murray and the Offices of the 3rd Battalion Highland Light Infantry.
Arthur Mone’s Bar with the Highland Light Infantry coming out of their head-quarters which was next door to the pub. The soldiers were on their way to fight in the First World War, many of the young men never returned.
Some of Glasgow’s best known publicans owned this pub including Arthur Mone, Lawrence Brady and Hugh Shaw who the pub was named after. Arthur Mone was a renowned licensee, he was firstly a medical student and went into the licensed trade before the 1920s, he owned some of the best pubs in Glasgow including the Mone Inn, Gallowgate and 485 Govan Road. His family of sons went on to become doctors, Doctor Arthur J Mone was also a director of the Clyde Football Club and doctor to the team, Dr Gerald Mone and another son went into priest hood Rev. John Mone. In 1920 Arthur Mone sen. contested Dalmarnock Ward at a municipal election and succeeded in polling over 3000 votes.
The pub was then sold on to another well known publican Lawrence Brady, owner of the Shandon Bells chain of pubs in Scotland Street, Candleriggs, Abercromby Street and Argyle Street the now famous Buttery.
Hugh Shaw took over the pub in 1952, the name Shaw’s has stuck with the pub ever since. I passed the pub August 2005 and the pub was closed down, it once had a great Victorian bar and gantry which was ripped out of the pub in the early 1990s.
Shaw’s Bar. 2005.
Wedding photo of Dr Arthur J Mone and his bride Miss M Curran. 1958. Left to right Dr Arthur J Mone, Bride Miss M Curran, best man brother Dr Gerald Mone and Arthur Mone sen.
This photograph was taken at the wedding of Mr John E Lynas and Miss Kathleen Mone daughter of Mr & Mrs Arthur Mone in 1945.T he wedding took place at the Holy Cross Church, Crosshill and was conducted by Father Gerard Dunn, Kirkintilloch, the uncle of the bride. Nuptial Mass was celebrated and the Papal blessing was afterwards conveyed to the bride and groom.
The bride wore a dress of white chiffon velvet, with long flowering veil, and she carried sheaf of white lilies. Three bridesmaids were in attendance, Miss Philomena Mone (sister of the bride); Miss Rosemary McCabe (cousin); and Miss Maureen Travers. Three little cousins of the bride, Frances, Catherine and Edward Dunn, acted as train-bearers. The bridesmaids were attired in rose pink with floral headdresses, their bouquets consisting of anemones. Mr Joseph Lynas a brother of the groom was best man.
Following the ceremony a reception was held in the Grosvenor Restaurant, Gordon Street.Over two hundred guests attended. A large number of clergy were amongst the guests and a large contingent of friends had made the journey from Ireland to do honour to the occasion. Mr & Mrs Arthur Mone received, and Father Gerard Dunn, who presided at the wedding repast, proposed the health of the newly wedded couple, the bridegroom’s acknowledgement being heartily applauded. The toast of the bridesmaids was given in felicitous terms by Dr. Aloysius Dunn, Mr Joseph Lynas replying. Father Peter Boland, M.R., proposed the toast of the bride’s parents.
Mr Arthur Mone responding. A like compliment was paid to the Lynas family by Father Thomas McGhie and was acknowledged by Dr Edward Lynas. Mr John McMahon, J.P., toasted “The Clergy,” Canon Mullins, M.R., replying and others who spoke included Dr. Joseph Dunn, Father Gerard McDade and Mr Cedric Hale.
Following the reception the guests were entertained at the Plaza and at the Alhambra Theatre. The guests included a large number of personalities in the trade and sporting life of Glasgow., the Licensed Trade and the medical profession being well represented. Amongst those present were :- The very Rev. Canon Mullins, Canon Galbraith, M.C., Fathers Boland, Boyce, Conway, Earley, Healy, Hill, Kilcoyne, McCranor, McDade, McEwan, McGhie, Noon, O’Leary, Sheridan and the Rev. Dr Treanor; Bailie J. Carmichael and Bailie Mrs A Cullen; Dr Aloysius Dunn, Dr John Dunn, Dr Joseph Dunn, Dr T Kivilichan, Dr Edward Lynas, Dr James McCusker, Dr J Scanlon.
Arthur Mone incidentally was a medical student in Glasgow and took a keen interest in Irish organisation’s. Amongst his many interests were the licensed premises at 485 Govan Road, formerly called “The Grand Central Bar”. In 1920 he contested Dalmarnock Ward at the municipal elections and succeeded in polling over 3000 voters.
Shaw’s Bar sadly closed down for many years and was taken over in 2010 as a grocer store.
1991 Ann Russell.
1978 M Shaw.
1973-1952 Hugh Shaw.
1950-1937 James Morrison.
1930 Lawrence Brady.
1920-1912 Arthur Mone.
1910 Patrick Bonnar.
1902-1891 Michael Cunningham.
1890-1872 Daniel Ward.
1868-1860 John McKenzie.
1855-1853 William McLintock.
1852-1849 Joseph Porter.
Do you remember Shaw’s Bar ? If so please get in touch.