214 Hope Street, Glasgow. G2 3PS. Demolished.
This old City Centre Bar stood at the corner of Hope Street and Renfrew Lane.
There has been licensed premises on this site since 1850. Over the years many publicans, wine and spirit merchants and restaurateurs have made lots of money from this once popular establishment including William Haddow, wholesale and retail wine & spirit merchant, and tea merchant. Mr Haddow lived at 212 Hope Street. Another well known proprietor was Thomas Galloway who took over in 1881. Mr Galloway also had premises at 156 Cowcaddens, 367 New City Road, 9-11 Sauchiehall Street. By 1919 he had no less than seven establishments in the city.
In 1921 Thomas Galloway sold up and the new license holder was John L Kelly. Mr Kelly help the license for ten years then publican John M Henderson took over. John held the license until the 1960s. Many will still remember William Crawley one of the last licensees’ for these premises.
Other names this old pub has been known as “The Savoy Bar” and “Galloway’s.”
email from Norrie Mcnamee…
Norrie Mcnamee has identified this pub, he went on to say ” the pub sat on Hope Street just around the corner of Renfrew Street Post Office, right across from the Savoy Cinema (later the Majestic Ballroom.) Right hand side off Hope Street between Renfrew Street and Sauchiehall Street.”
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.