110 Renfrew Street, Glasgow. Demolished.
The Camp Bar was situated at the entrance of the Queen’s Arcade. Thanks to Mitchell Library for this image.
The Camp Bar. 1960s. Thanks to Mitchell Library for this image.
This photograph is from the early 1960s, when the name “Camp Bar” would not have been regarded as incompatible with the accepted macho image of Glasgow pubs. Next door to the Queen Arcade in Renfrew Street, it provided a haven for husbands while their wives went shopping.
For many years the Camp Bar was run by a well-known publican, Patrick McKay. Born in Cushenden, Co Antrim, McKay entered the licensed trade in Belfast at 15 years of age. He moved to Glasgow and worked in the Smiddy and the Bunch of Grapes in the West End, as well as the Royal Bar in Hope Street, before taking over the Camp Bar in 1924. He rebuilt the pub in 1939, with a new counter and gantry and chrome and mirrored glass furnishings.
The Camp Bar was demolished a few years after this photograph was taken.
The New Camp Bar sign which hung above the pub. Patrick McKay called the pub “New Camp Bar” after a major refit in 1939.
The Camp Bar. 1960s.
To read the full history of this popular Glasgow pub Click here.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.