108-10 Govan Street now Ballater street corner of 46-48 Thistle Street, Glasgow.
This 1960s photograph was taken shortly before it was demolished.
There has been a pub on this site since 1834, probably a two storey building with the licensed premises on the ground floor and living accommodation above. Landlord Robert McFarlane, wine & spirit merchant owned the business from that time until around 1851.
Closeup of the Clady Bar.
Mr William Kirkwood then took over the running of the pub. He resided with his family at 31 Florence Street before moving to Gallowflat Place, Wardlawhill then to 172 Main Street, Rutherglen. When Mr Kirkwood passed away his wife had no alternative but to run the business as she had a family to look after, she occupied the premises for around ten years before selling up.
In 1898 David Blanche took over, he continued to serve the locals here until the end of the First World War.
From 1920 till 1958 the pub was run by publican Cameron Dey before Magnus O’Donnell took over, who was the last licensee to occupy the premises before it was demolished, just like all the rest of the old pubs in the Gorbals.