1316-18 Gallowgate, Glasgow. G31 4DR. Tel: 0141 551 0400.
The Old Black Bull. 1991.
The Old Black Bull near Parkhead Cross was founded in 1760 and is still a landmark on the Gallowgate.
In the 1860s Andrew Stout the landlord was more than just a publican he also manufactured his own aerated water, soda water and brewed his own ginger beer, he was also a pastry baker. He did all this within the grounds of the Old Black Bull. His mineral water was carted to the iron-workers and coal-men in the many factories in the area including Parkhead Forge. Mr Stout’s son’s worked in the Old Black Bull as well as in the old weaving shop where the ginger was manufactured, George did the bottling and James delivered the goods to the thirst workers in the district. Ancestors of Mr Stout still ran the pub in the 1950s.
The Old Black Bull, Gallowgate taken before demolition. Today’s Old Black Bull sit’s on the site of the old pub.
One of the licensee Margaret Rennie worked in the pub when she was 14 years of age.
William Rennie a trustee and licence holder worked as a check weigher at the Parkhead Forge.
A G Barr took over Mr Stout’s ginger and aerated water business in 1887. Barr’s became known as Scotland’s other national drink, Irn-Bru the drink that was advertised as been made from girders.
The Old Black Bull. 2005.
The Old Black Bull. 2006.
Old Black Bull. 2012.
Black Bull. 1960s.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
1991 William Mitchell.
1972-1957 John Hamilton.
1950 Mrs M Rennie.
1928 Margaret Whitton.
1912 Allan Shaw.
1899-1896 Mary Stout Shaw.
1895-1863 Andrew Stout.
1856 William Smith.
1853-1847 William McNee.
Do you have anything to say about the Old Black Bull? If so please leave a comment.