447 Gallowgate, Glasgow. G40 2DX.Tel: 0141 554 2715.
There has been licensed premises here since at least 1845. John Ramsay a well known east end publican took over the pub in the middle of the 1870s, he also owned Ramsay’s Bar in Duke Street.
The old premises were demolished and a new tenement of flats and a public house was erected on the site in 1912. Thomas Aitken the previous proprietor took over the new pub, his initials and the date can still be seen above the doorway of the pub.
“The Drover.” Note the spare ground where a tenement block once stood, this was part of a massive clearance during the 1960s and 70s that saw many of the Gallowgate Pubs demolished.
The pub was frequented by the many worker of the meat market, over the years this old pub has been known as Anderson’s Bar, the locals called this pub the Spaniards and eventually the name appeard above the door. Barmen Julian Cedrum a gentleman from Spain took over the running of the bar from the early 1950s, hence the name. The locals called him Willie the Spaniard.
William Anderson traded here for many years, he was also a member of the Whitevale Ward of licence holders.
left to right front row William Anderson, Thomas McNulty, Hugh Davis. Back A M Barr, Archibald McCulloch, George Neil, A Palfrey and Archibald McIntyre. 1934.
The Date above the doorway T. A, Thomas Aitken, 1912.
The ornate iron work above the door entrance at Gallowgate.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
1991 John McCadden.
1973-1952 Dolores Monaghan. (Julian Cedrum.)
1947 Andrew Morrison.
1945-1918 William Anderson.
1917-1885 Thomas Aitken.
1884 Charles Smith Gall.
1882-1876 John Ramsay.
1875-1863 James Cameron.
1860-1845 James Robertson.
Do you have any memories of the Drover? If so please leave a comment.