233 Cowcaddens, Glasgow.
The Subway Bar. 1960s.
The Subway Bar was situated at the corner of Cowcaddens and Cambridge Lane
There has been a pub on this site since at least the 1850s, owned by wine merchant James McBirnie
In the 1870s the pub was owned by renowned spirit merchant James Ewen. When he passed away his wife Catherine took over the running of the business.
The Subway Bar 1960s.
Catherine McDonald Ewen was licensee until 1902, she paid an annul rent of £120.00 to the Glasgow Subway Company who owned the property. Mrs Ewen lived close by at 217 Cambridge Street. Catherine sold the business in 1902 to spirit merchant Charles Scott, his daughter Miss Alison Mack Scott became licensee during the 1930s.
Richard James Brash was the last holder of the licence he also ran pubs on 245 Hospital Street, 78 Nelson Street and 2202 Paisley Road West (Argosy Bar). The Subway Bar was demolished in the 1960s.