87 Cowcaddens, corner of 188-290 Hope Street, Glasgow. The Top Spot, 188-290 Hope Street. 1950’s. Originally called the Camel Vaults, other names this pub has been known to have are Theatre Royal Vaults, The College Bar, and The Top Spot. There has been licensed premises here since 1870, owned by Glover and Francis wine and […]
10 Cowcaddens, Glasgow. The Variety Bar was named after John Mullen and Scots comedian who performed under the name of Jock Mills. To read the full history of the Variety Bar and Jock Mills click here. Another view of the Variety Bar. Interior view of the main bar. Interior view of the lounge. The committee […]
52-58 Cowcaddens Street, Glasgow. Taylor’s Bar. 1963.
233 Cowcaddens, Glasgow. The Subway Bar. 1960s. The Subway Bar was situated at the corner of Cowcaddens and Cambridge Lane There has been a pub on this site since at least the 1850s, owned by wine merchant James McBirnie In the 1870s the pub was owned by renowned spirit merchant James Ewen. When he passed […]
70 Cowcaddens, Glasgow. The Pop Inn sat at the corner of Cowcaddens Street and Dunblane Street. In the 1870s William McLean owned this pub serving the locals of Cowcaddens for years. John Watt acquired the licence in 1878, between him and his family, they occupied the premises for over fifty years. Mr Watt also owned […]
227 Cowcaddens, Glasgow. There has been a public house on this site since at least the 1870s. In 1875 James Dewar occupied the premises, he was well established, having premises on Commerce Street, New City Road, Port Dundas Road, West Russell Street and Duke Street. Three years later John Campbell took over the licence, he […]