88 John Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.
William Brown’s bar was situated in John Street, Bridgeton.
John Street was changed to Tullis Street.
Tullis Street was named after John Tullis a family of Tanner’s and leather merchants who gifted the hammer beam roof of Greenhead and Barrowfield Parish Church in London Road in 1850.
The old pub here was founded by William Brown in the early 1870s. He was formerly a factory worker and resigned his post of manager to start business own his own. He was presented with a timepiece for his services with the firm, his new clock occupied a prominent position on his parlour sideboard at his home in Main Street, Bridgeton. He lived with his wife Mary, sons William, Alexander and George, Daughters Jeanie, Annie, Helen and Mary, the family were well off enough to have a domestic servant Euphemia. The pub was also known as the Green Rest.
William loved outdoor sports and was a supporter of all east end activities. He held an honourable position of President of the Eastern Merchants Society, Secretary of the Bridgeton Bowling Club and was a keen curler. He was very friendly with William Hillcoat a well known and prominent figure in the Scottish Licensed Trade. William also owned a pub at 166 Main Street and 233 Main Street, Bridgeton.
When William passed away his wife Mary took over the licence in 1894. Their son William then took over the business in 1905 which consisted of John Street premises and 233 Main Street, Bridgeton. In the 1890s young William had licensed premises in Greenock and Gourock.
The old pub on Tullis Street was demolished in 1927.