129 St. Georges Road, Glasgow. G3 6JA. Tel: 0141 332 5125.
The Carnarvon Bar. 1991.
Vincent Clancy the landlord has been serving the punters here for years.
There has been a pub on this site since 1872 owned by James Leitch, it was sold to thirty year old Thomas Downie in 1876 he live not far in Woodlands Road with his wife and a family of 6 children, his brother Matthew also lived with him for a while and helped serve the customers here until the 1880s.
Thomas was born in Coylton, Ayr and came to Glasgow at an early age, working on bars around the city with his brother. Thomas later opened pubs in Harvie Street Govan Road and Paisley Road West, giving up the trade in 1923.
Other well known licensee for the premises were Christina Harvey (1923) George Fowlis, Duncan Harvey (1960) and John Cameron 1970.
The pub is now called Oscar Slater’s.
Update… Oscar Slater’s was short lived and has reverted back to “The Carnarvon Bar.”
Carnarvon Bar. 2008.
Our friend Frank Parsons has shared these great photos of his mum Lena Bradford at the Carnarvon.
Lena outside pub with Tartan Army fans.
Lena behind the bar.
Lena on right with George Sewall.
Lena entertaining the punters.
Lena pouring pints ( Note the smoke as this was before the smoking ban)
Now called Oscar Slater’s, a reminder of the notorious Edwardian murderer Oscar Slater. Inside the bar is the story of Oscar Slater on the walls.
1972 Frank Robertson Greig (trustee on the estate of John Cameron.)
1970 John Cameron.
1960 Duncan McIntosh Harvey.
1950-1937 George Fowlis.
1923 Christina B Harvey.
Do you have memories of this old pub? If so please leave a comment.