Country Corner: 33 Nelson Street, Glasgow. G5 8BU. Closed.
The Country Corner. 1991.
In the 1850s Margaret Dale a dressmaker, Milliner and Furnisher occupied this site.
In 1858 a licence was granted to a gentleman called George McKay to sell wine and spirits, Mr McKay lived in Eglinton Street not far from his place of business. Jessie McKay took over the licence until 1879. New premises were built in 1881 a new landlord moved in and traded under the title of James Menzies & Co, by 1885 the firm was known as Simpson & Menzies. Manager of this pub in the late 1880s was James Robertson, the Menzies family continued in this old pub until the early 1940s. During the Second World War Allan Robertson Parvin took control of the business until the 1950s.
This was once known as the Bingham’s Bar.
It’s now called Bingham’s. 2007.
Since at least 2011 Bingham’s has been closed down. In 2015 the old pub was sold and is now a business called Cookiez n Creamz.
In the NEWS…1975.
In 1975 this old pub was known as The Jilt Inn.
The Jilt Inn, 33 Nelson Street advert 1975.
Jack and Irene McGhee and family and staff wish all their regulars to the Jilt Inn a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
In 1899 there were 8 pubs and 2 licensed Grocers from the corner of Bridge Street to Morrison Street which was a continuation of Nelson Street to Paisley Road. Morrison Street had 3 pubs and 1 licensed Grocers.
1991 Sarah Scott.
1978 J Lamont.
1972 William MacKenzie Johnstone.
1970 A Alexander.
1960 Miss Janet Miller Lamont.
Do you know anything about this pub? If so please leave a comment.