87 Bellgrove Street, Glasgow.
Exchange Bar. circa 1920s
The Exchange Bar was situated at the corner of 87 Bellgrove Street and 286 Duke Street.
In the 1870s Janet Shirra was landlady here.
In 1883 Robert Hannah acquired the licence, he continued serving the locals here until 1907.
Situated next door to the old meat market, this old pub was packed on market day which was a Wednesday. Traders from all over the country used to gather at the market and after a days trading they would meet in one of the many pubs in the area including the Gallowgate.
George Fair took over the pub in 1907, his father was George McCall who owned the Old Toll Bar, Paisley Road Toll. When George passed away his son was involved in the running of the Old Toll Bar before he took over the Exchange Bar.
When George Fair passed away his wife Jeanie took over the running of the Exchange Bar, the family continued to run this successful business until the 1960s, by this time George Seaton Fair was licensee.
The pub was demolished in the early 1960s.
Mr George S Fair standing at one of the mirrors covered with coins collected by the customers. 1944. Altogether the mirror held £12 19 shillings and 9 pence, while a side sweepstake brought forth the tidy sum of £4 10 shillings. Archibald Campbell, Hope and King Ltd and Arthur Bell and Sons Ltd both gave gifts as goodwill gestures. The total proceeds were handed over to H.M.S. Duke of York. Another mirror also collected money for the Glasgow Squadron R.A.F. The President of the Canteen Committee on behalf of H.M.S. Duke of York ship’s company, cordially thanked Mr Fair and the customers for the gifts.