1512 Maryhill Road, Glasgow. G20 9AD. Tel: 0141 946 0843.
The Punch Bowl. 1991.
This well established Maryhill local was a favourite landmark in the area for years, in recent years it has changed it’s name to the Botany.
The pub can be traced back to the beginning of the 1900s, over the years many licensee have come and gone. One of the longest landlords to hold the certificate was Andrew White, he took control of the business from 1917 to the 1930s. The address of the pub was then 166 Wyndford Street.
Archibald Kirkland took over the pub in 1930s till the 1960s. Mr Kirkland was a trustee and Attorney for the late William Craib.
View of the Punch Bowl 1939.
Punch Bowl 1937.
The Botany. August 2005.
In the News 1974…
Punch Bowl have to fill the Cup…!
Punch Bowl (above) and Sou’ Wester A (below), currently the two strongest teams in the Glasgow Darts Association, had a rare old scrap when they clashed in the final of the White Horse Trophy tournament. Victory went to the Punch Bowl 9-8, but only after the two teams had tied it at 6-6 and a best of five games decider had been ordered. 1974.
This old Maryhill favourite bar is now reverted back to the “Punch Bowl.”
Do you have any memories about this pub? If so please leave a comment.