1969 /1971 Maryhill Road, Glasgow. G20 0BT.
Cloughley’s Bar. This image was taken just before the pub was demolished. circa 1970s.
There has been a public house on this site since 1882 run by a lady called Mrs Gibson, she had a license to sell ales and porter only. The pub was situated at the corner of Maryhill Road and Celtic Street.
Mrs Gibson continued as landlady until 1887. The pub was then taken over by James Grieve, again he was only allowed to sell ale and porter to his customers. Mrs Janet Grieve his wife took over the licence in 1893 and paid an annual rent of £19. Janet gave up her licence a year after the out break of the first world war.
George Smith Cloughley then took over as landlord, he may have been called up as in 1917 his wife was licensee. The Cloughley family continued as licensees’ until the 1950s.
When the pub was demolished a new pub was built on the same site, but a much bigger bar and a new name for the premises, “The Highland Queen.” Later on this pub was known as “The Rams Head.”
During the 1960s Elizabeth C Sloan was licensee and the 70s was John McNiven Johnstone and in 1991 James Farrell was licensee.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.