1971 Maryhill Road, Maryhill, Glasgow. G20 0BT. Tel: 0141 949 4044.
This part of Maryhill Road was called Main Street, Maryhill back then.
There has been a public house on this site since 1882 run by a lady called Mrs Gibson, she had a license to sell ales and porter only. The pub was situated at the corner of Maryhill Road and Celtic Street.
Mrs Gibson continued as landlady until 1887. The pub was then taken over by James Grieve, again he was only allowed to sell ale and porter to his customers. Mrs Janet Grieve his wife took over the licence in 1893 and paid an annual rent of £19. Janet gave up her licence a year after the out break of the first world war.
George Smith Cloughley then took over as landlord, he may have been called up as in 1917 his wife was licensee. The Cloughley family continued as licensees’ until the 1950s.
George lived with his wife Helen at 2 Celtic Street, Helen worked very close with George in the pub. All the beer was bottled on the premises, during the Second World War George was also known as a beer bottler.
Many will still remember Elizabeth Sloan licencee in 1960, John Johnstone in the 70s and James Farrell 1990s.
email from Stephen McGuire: The Crashed formerly known as Cloughley’s for a number of years only sold beer and no spirits.
Do you have any memories of this Pub? If so please leave a comment.