Old Dumbarton Road, Partick. The Bun & Yuill House Tavern. The large building with a smoking chimney in the centre of this drawing of 1827 was a tavern known as the “Bun and Yill House” or Bunhouse (yill is an old Scots word for ale). It stood on Old Dumbarton Road on the approach to […]
Old Dumbarton Road, Partick. Thomas Fairbairn’s painting shows the Wheat Sheaf Inn at the eastern end of Old Dumbarton Road. The inn was popular with Glaswegians who walked from the city along the Anderston Walk to Partick and the banks of the River Kelvin, to take in the scenery and the country air. It […]
13 Old Wynd, off the Trongate, Glasgow. Mr Alexander Allan. 1893. In the Old Wynd, off the Trongate, round which centre’s many historical associations and grim stories of a bygone age, there was one of the oldest taverns in Glasgow. At the end of the 1800s it was known as the Waverley Bar, owned by […]
90 Old Dumbarton Road, Yorkhill, Glasgow. G3 8PZ. Tel: 01413398132. Stirling Castle. 1991. This was originally Galbraith’s Store the grocers. It opened as a public house during the 1950s. William Lyall Henderson was then licensee, he ran a small pub in Guest Street, Anderston before taking this pub on. Situated at the corner of Old […]
266 Old Rutherglen Road, Glasgow. New Elizabethan. 1991. Now demolished.
52 Orchard Street, Gorbals, Glasgow. The Harmony Bar. 1955. The Harmony Bar stood at the corner of 52 Orchard Street and 363 South York Street which changed to Moffat Street.