234 Hope Street, Glasgow.
Dunbar’s was situated at the corner of 234 Hope Street and 62 Renfrew Street. This photograph was taken in the 1960s.
There was a pub on this site since at least the 1870s, landlord James Milne served the locals here for many years.
In the late 1890s Annie White was landlady she occupied other licensed premises in the city including, 16 Burnside Street, 2 Cromwell Street at the corner of New City Road and 416 Garscube Road.
In 1900 Peter Brady took over the licence, he also ran pubs at 66 Broomielaw and 321 Argyle Street. He named all of the pubs “Argyle Vaults”. The Argyle Cronies made this pub their headquarters of which Mr Brady was a member.
1907 Andrew McWilliam acquired the licence, he was well established in a small pub in Grace Street, Anderston. Mr McWilliam continued until after WW1.
During the late 1920 and early 30s David Dunbar took over the pub, Frederick and David Furniss took over as trustee’s from 1934. The pub was taken over by the Southern Blenders Ltd, Archibald S Mitchell held the licence in 1960 as trustee for the late David Dunbar, he also held the licence for all Rogano establishment’s and Charles Watson 6-8 Greenhaugh Street.
James Ballantyne held the licence as trustee for the late Mr Dunbar in association with Southern Blenders from 1961 to the late 1970s when the pub was finally demolished.