134 Pollokshaws Road, corner of 1 Devon Street, Glasgow. S.S.
Mill Inn, 134 Pollokshaws Road. Thanks to Norrie McNamee for the images.
There has been licensed premises on this site since 1863. The first licensee was a woman called Catherine Kelly. Mrs Kelly lived a short distance away from her place of business at 163 Pollokshaws Road. She continued as landlady until 1870.
John Duncan then took over the pub. John was a wine & spirit merchant and lived at 10 Main Street, Rutherglen before moving to 181 Pollokshaws Road in 1875. Thomas Duncan was licensee for a short while in 1885.
The licence was then taken over by Duncan Douglas in 1887.
In 1899 Robert Howden took over the business, he paid an annual rent of £65. He lived nearby at 136 Pollokshaws Road.
In 1902 Patrick Gallagher an Irishman took over, however a family member Edward Gallagher acquired the licence in 1905 probably his son. Edward Gallagher also had pubs at 112 King Street, Old Pollokshaws and 60 Rottenrow (The Old Cross Keys) Edward Gallagher’s son also Edward late took over the Old Cross Keys. Edward served the locals here until 1925.
Another image of the Mill Inn 1960s.
In 1926 William Newall acquired the certificate as a wine and spirit merchant, he continued here until 1939.
A well known and respected Scottish Licensed Trade member James R Millen took over the pub in 1940-50s.
In the 1950s to 1960 another well known figure in the License Trade Frank Munro was running this pub and finally John S Donaghey from 1960 till the early 1970s.