30-32 Gardner Street corner of 107 Grove Street.
Before the Show, the Cross Keys, Comfortable Bar and Lounge, Personal Supervision, opposite this Theatre, 30 St. Peter’s Street, After the show.
The theatre in question was the Metropole run by the Logan family.
St. Peter’s Street shown on this advert was formerly Gardner Street.
The history of the Cross Keys can be traced back to 1882 when landlord Andrew Christie Hutcheson acquired then premises. By 1897 he was trading as a Wine and Spirit Merchant having premises at 115-17 New City Road, 30 Gardner Street, 599 Garscube Road and he was living at 3 Queen Margaret Drive, Kelvinside.
The property where The Cross Keys was situated was owned by Reverend John W Kidston, Rockbank, Helensburgh, he leased the pub out to Mr Hutcheson with an annul rent of £67 10 shillings.
In 1908 a new landlord was trading from the premises, a Mr James S Lindsay, who served the locals here until after World War 1. During the 1930s John L Jones acquired the pub he also owned pubs at 84 Caledonia Road and 260 London Road.
The last licensee to run the Cross Keys was Neville L Jones during the 1960s before it was demolished. During this time John L Jones was still running the London Road premises.
Here are some principal personalities who attended the smoker dinner held at Belmont House, Glasgow, by the Cowcaddens Ward of the Glasgow Association in 1962. Left to right: Mr G Ramster, Glasgow Association Office; Mr H Doherty, Symposium Bar, Cowcaddens Street; Mr N Jones, Cross Keys, St. Peter’s Street; Mr J Dougan, Dougan’s Bar, Springburn Road; Mr R Lemon, Lemon Tree, Parliamentary Road (Ward Convener); Mr W J Bennet, Port Dundas Road; Mr W B Gow, Bristol Bar, Cowcaddens; Mr J Lanagan, Maitland Street; Mr T F Flynn who succeeded Mr Gow as president of the Glasgow Association; Mr D McNiven, Argyle Arms, Kennedy Street; and Mr W J McDowall, Secretary, Glasgow Association.