394 Parliamentary Road, Glasgow.
The Lemon Tree sat at the corner of Parliamentary Road and Pladda Street formerly Calderwood Street.
There has been a pub on this site since 1863, owned by Charles McGilvray. Two year later Robert Lang took over the pub, Mr Lang lived in one of the flats next door to the pub.
The pub was named after Richard Lemon the proprietor in the late 1950s.
In the 1870, Robert Cleat a wine & spirit merchant traded here, he also ran a small pub at 101 East Milton Street.
In 1881 William McLeod a prominent spirit merchant acquire the licence. Mr McLeod was born in 1843 at Lambhill and educated in Springburn, his first initiatory start in life was his engagement as clerk to the firm of Messrs., Leadbetter, Govan & Co, quarrymasters, to whom he remained for 17 years, during which time he married a niece of Mr Govan, one of the partners.
He took over his first pub at 281 Gairbraid Street, Maryhill, premises that had just been built, in 1873 at the corner of Vernon Street, now Queen Margaret Drive. Business was booming and in 1887 he acquired another pub further up Maryhill at 210-12 Main Street the “Redan.” Using his Gairbraid Street establishment as his headquarters, all the finest liquor was dispensed at his premises, blending all his own whiskies and his special blend of “Tiree” which not only had a large home consumption but was known abroad, where it was extensively exported. Read More on McLeod.
In 1911 Patrick Shanley took over the pub he also ran a public house at 117 Bishop Street, Anderston, he ran a successful business here until after WW1.
Richard Lemon acquired the licence in the late 1950s, he held the licence until the pub was demolished in 1964. The following year he acquire the licence for the Cuillins, Kyleakin Road.
Trade personalities who attended the smoker dinner held at Belmont House, by the Cowcaddens Ward. 1962. left to right Mr G Ramster; Mr Hugh Doherty, Symposium Bar, Cowcaddens; Mr Neville Jones, Cross Keys, St. Peter’s Street; Mr John Dougan, Dougan’s Bar, Springburn Road; Mr Richard Lemon, Lemon Tree, Parliamentary Road, ward convener; Mr W J Bennet, Bennet’s, Port Dundas Road; Mr William B Gow, Bristol Bar; Mr James Lanagan, Maitland Street; Mr Thomas F Flynn, Mr Donald McNiven, Argyll Arms, Kennedy Street, Mr W J McDowall.
Other licensees’ who ran this pub were Patrick Breen, Mr Breen was an Irishman, and owned this pub during the 1930s, he sold the pub to move to Donegal. He passed away in 1945 beside his wife who died in 1921 in Kells Co. Meath, Ireland.
Another licensee was William Burke who ran the pub during the 1950s before Richard Lemon look over.