22 Paisley Road West, Glasgow. G51 1LB. Tel: 0141 429 0665.
The Viceroy. 1991.
This ancient public house has some interesting stained glass door panels by the Knox brother’s. In the 1870s the Knox brothers painted glass for many of our public houses. These works of art are probably the only glass panels left by the Knox brother’s. In all the years I’ve been in and out of pubs I have never seen anything like them. They are a work of art and must be seem before someone snatches them up or even worse get smashed by a drunk.
The Glass Doors at Viceroy Bar.
There has been a public house on this spot since 1856, the first to hold a licence was spirit merchant David Stobo. David continued to serve the locals until 1866. Dugald Paterson was the next publican to run the pub. Mr Paterson also had a public house at 64 East Howard Street, he was living at Clifford Street, Paisley Road. Dugald Paterson continued as licensee until 1885.
Robert Gall was next on the list of wine and spirit merchants to run this old pub. Robert was also a licensed grocer (Off Sales) having premises at 117 Lambhill Street. Robert didn’t last long in the Paisley Road West pub and sold up to Thomas Vallance in 1890.
Mr Thomas Vallance was a famous Glasgow Rangers Footballer and manager. To read more on Vallance click here.
The Viceroy Interior. 2007.
After Thomas Vallance the pub was sold to Mr Edmund McDonald. Edmund also had premises at Rue End Street, Greenock. Mr McDonald was a soldier and served his country and his Queen faithfully. Mr Edmund McDonald was born in Aberdeen and went to school in the Granite City, where he did well. He entered the army as a boy, joining the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, with which he remained for eleven years. On duty in Gibraltar and most of the garrison towns in England, Ireland and Scotland. He was also a drill instructor to the 1st Battalion Renfrew Volunteers. The first army man who had ever taken the regiment in hand, he soon showed the metal he was made of, and by his ability and tact transformed the Battalion into one of the best sense of the term, he won the confidence and respect of all he came in contact with.
Edmund took a great interest in drill and gymnastics, and acted as instructor in many private colleges and public schools. He was appointed an instructor under the School Board of Glasgow, where he taught in some of their best schools, principally of the higher grade. He trained in St Andrew’s and City Hall’s in every instance most successfully.
Retiring from military life in 1894, Mr McDonald entered the Trade and acquired the Eagle Tavern, Rue End Street, Greenock. Making a success of this public house he obtained the transfer of the license at “The Club” 22 Paisley Road West. He was an old member of the Greenock Burns Club, in his spare time he played bowls with the Ardgowan and golfs with the Golf Club of the same town. He was an amateur photographer, fond of music and played the piano and violin and many more musical instruments. He also sung for the choir of the Old West Parish Church, in the graveyard of which, Burns’ Highland Mary is buried.
Mr McDonald was a director of the Greenock Branch of the Wine, Beer and Spirit Trade Defence Association, in the interests of which he spared neither time nor trouble. In 1881 he married Miss Burns, daughter of Mr James Burns, M.R.V.C.S., of Dublin. His was an expert cyclist too. Edmund McDonald sold up in 1905.
In 1905 the premises was taken over by wine & spirit merchant James Kerr and changed the name to “The Clarence.” Mr Kerr thoroughly remodelled and fitted all new appliances. There was a large room suitable for holding functions and smaller rooms for smaller parties. James got his training in the famous Horse Shoe Bar, Drury Street. The Clarence celebrated Welsh Rarebit which was becoming very popular with his patrons.
James Kerr was very successful in the Clarence and sold up to James Watt in 1907. Wine and spirit merchant James Watt served the locals until 1924.
John Kennedy then took over. John continued until 1937 and sold to well-known southside wine and spirit merchant James Clelland. Mr Clelland will still be remembered by some as the owner of the Cleland Bar, Hospital Street, Gorbals.
Over the years many publicans have come and gone including: John McKinlay 1940s – 1963, Denis Gerald McKinlay 1963 – 1970s, and present licensee Mr Peter Derrick.
Do you have any memories of this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.