252 Paisley Road West, Glasgow. G51 1BS. Tel: 0141 427 5151.
This bar opened in 1959 with an Italian influence and was named The Three Coins in the Fountain.
A fountain was situated in the centre of the lounge, made from stone and mounted by three lions modelled on the original of the Trevi fountain in Rome. Concealed lighting beneath made the cascading water sparkle like a rainbow. The interior decor featured attractive woods, concealed floodlights and scenic wallpaper in which depicted the Doge’s Palace, the canal and the Cathedral of Venice.
Customers would throw coins into the fountain and make a wish, all proceedings went to various charities. This new enterprise was the makings of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd, Denis McKinlay was licensee. The opening night was performed by W B Gow president of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association.
The whole Rangers Football team must have been here, George McLean, Davie Provan and Ronnie McKinnon prepare to push the pile of coins into the waiting hands of Rev. D Drysdale. 1964.
In the NEWS 1964…
The “Fountain” of Charity…
A pile of pennies, almost three feet high amounting to over £50 was donated by the customers and staff of the “Three Coins in the Fountain,” Paisley Road West, Glasgow, to the patients of the Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Erskine.
The gift, which will be used on October 21 to take the patients to lunch to the Scottish V Finland World Cup match at Hampden Park and to dinner afterwards, was the idea of Mr D. Bowman, manager of the “Three Coins in the Fountain.”
He invited several of the Rangers F.C. players to help “demolish” the pile. And it took three of them to knock it down!
The Chaplain of the hospital, the Rev. D. W. Drysdale, accepted the gift on behalf of the patients. The “Three Coins in the Fountain” staff are now aiming at another target. They hope to collect enough to give some of the children in Eastbank Children’s Home a Christmas treat.
Other Glasgow Rangers players making a wish, young Jim Baxter, Ralph Brand, Jimmy Millar and Norrie Martin.
Joseph M Lombardi, JP and director of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd, dropping a coin into the fountain, Mr Denis McKinlay licensee at the rear centre, Mr William B Gow, president of the SLTA with the chain, Mr John McKinlay, director of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd on the right. 1959.
Also see Mr W B Gow at the Cross Keys.
Glasgow Rangers football players George McLean and Davie Provan flip coins into the fountain, I wonder what they were wishing for?
1973-1968 John McIntosh.
1959 Denis G McKinlay.
Do you have any memories of this old pub? If so please leave a comment.