222 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, City Centre.
The Buchanan Bar & Lounge. 1970s.
Over the years these premises were once part of the hotel. In 1875 John Purvis was the Hotel Keeper. In 1887 the hotel was known as Baikies Temperence Hotel. In 1912 it was called the Palace Temperence Hotel, 1919 the Oversea Club Hotel then back to the Palace Hotel, then the Buchanan Hotel.
In the 1940s and 50s it was known as Ferrari (The Corner House) restaurant. During the Ferrari hay days the place was used for pre match team lunches for Celtic Football teams.
The Buchanan Bar and Lounge and Restaurant sold Tennent’s Lager.
By the late 1950s and 60s Thomas G Dick was licensee of these premises which was now a public house owned by Tennent Caledonian Breweries.
Thomas G Dick was also licensee of another five premises including 67 Cambridge Street, 179 London Road, 88 Whitevale Street and two on the Gallowgate no. 514 and 616.
The main pub was on the ground floor there was a staircase which took you upstairs, the first floor was the Lounge Bar, second floor was the Oak Room which was used as a function room. The offsales was entered from the main street.
One of the workers in the Buchanan Bar was a Mr Dudley Walker for 1967-69, he remembers the manager Davie Bennett who haild from Jersey. In 1972 the licensee was a Mr Kenneth William James Beaton.
Thanks to Mr Dudley Walker.