220 Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
Five Ways. 1960s.
This old pub was opened in 1860 by James Bowie who lived in one of the flats above with his wife and family. Mr Bowie was born in Paisley where he met his wife Grace.
He took over his first pub on Great Eastern Road in 1854, this old pub will still be remembered by east enders as the Reunion Bar at Camlachie.
James Bowie and his family moved out to Buchanan Gardens, Mount Vernon with his son William living next door with his family.
The Five Ways corner of Cathedral Street and Buchanan Street.
The pub on Buchanan Street was known first as the Cosy Den before it was renamed the Five Ways. When James died his son William took over the running of the business. William was born in the Cowcaddens district in 1849, he received his education in David Street school, then Annfield Academy, Bellgrove Street then to Wilson’s Model School which occupied the site of the Andersonian College in George Street. He then finished his education at the High School, John Street. On leaving school he immediately joined his father in the business.
In 1877 he married Miss Jamieson, her family were well known in their time, her grandfather was Rev. John Jamieson of Bellshill and her great grandfather was a doctor John Brown of Haddington.
Interior view of the Five Ways public bar, shortly after reconstruction in 1958.
William in his spare time loved bowling and was a member of the Mount Vernon Club he was also a member of the old Albany Club, he was a great shot with a gun and regularly went shooting at Darnley Range, he was president of the Bank Burns Club, which met on a regular basis in Maxwell Street.
Interior view of the new lounge bar. 1958.
In 1971 Mr John Miller, manager of the Five Ways retired at the age of 65. Mr Miller had more than 47 years experience in the trade and in the same pub, which was then owned by Tennent Caledonian Breweries, which must have been a record.