498 Springburn Road corner of 2 Blenheim Street, Glasgow. G21. Demolished.
Mr William Anderson was born in Stirlingshire, his father was an ardent Radical of the old school. When young William was 17 years of age he decided to go to Glasgow in search of a busier life. His first job was in the building trade, he helped to build many of Glasgow’s old tenements. He went into purchasing property in Glasgow, Stirling, Renfrew and Lanarkshire. He lived in a lovely mansion house in Birnam, Dunkeld. He undertook the building of the gigantic structures of dwelling-houses and shops on the north side of the Gallowgate, Glasgow, east of the Union Railway bridge. He got so far with its erection that his trade mark- a ship representing commerce – and his monogram were stamped on it; but the ground had been bought at too high a figure and the City of Glasgow Bank disaster added difficulties, his hitherto uninterrupted prosperity received a check. The blow was severe. Yet he managed to struggle through the trial, and returned with his wonted spirit to the trade from which he had retired in 1871.
When first in the Trade he held several licenses, mostly in the Gallowgate district. He once carried on a spirit business in Buchanan Street, and for a license in Seymour Street, New City Road, he conquered the teetotalers in the Magistrates’ Court, but the Confirmation Court failed him. He had been in Springburn since 1886, and his Commercial Bar there was an ideal fitted up shop in polished mahogany and shining mirrors, with horse-shoe counter, and the latest scientific improvements in the shape of telephonic communication to his house and the city.
The “Commercial” Blend of Fine Old Whiskies. This was William Anderson’s trade mark like the one’s he had on his tenement buildings.
William Anderson was a Mason for well over 28 years and a member of a number of lodges and identified with Lodge St. John, in which he held office, and the Royal Arch (Cathedral Chapter,) of which he was treasurer. He was the father of past president of the Eastern Merchants and Tradesmen’s Society (similar to the Anderston Weavers,) which he founded with only a few friends in 1877, of which in 1894 had eleven hundred members, with £3000 of funds a huge amount of money in those days. He was for four years president of the Sir Colin Campbell Curling Club, whose case of prize medals he assisted in securing, and, like so many other gentlemen connected with the Trade, he evinces a lively feeling in bowling. He was also president of the St. Rollox Bowling Club, to which in 1889 he gifted a handsome silver cup, played for at the annual rink matches.
Mr Anderson entered into the Trade in 1863, for he was builder and licence-holder at one and the same time. He was an enthusiastic member of the Defence Association. He joined the Glasgow Association and became a member of the Benevolent. When the city was divided into Parliamentary divisions he was elected a convener, and when, after they had lapsed, and the district associations were re-formed, he was a second time made convener. In 1894 he sat at the Central Board as a director, elected at the annual meeting of the Association. In Springburn he was in the Trade’s guide, philosopher, and friend. He was an old Parliamentary hand at subscriptions and did good service in the Special Defence Fund with Mr Gilliland, whom he had, with effect, coached in many Trade matters. To his exertions licensed grocers of his division were members of the Association and had subscribed to the Special Fund.
Mr William Anderson established the Commercial Vaults which sat at the corner of Springburn Road and Blenheim Street in 1886. William lived at Eastfield Lodge, Springburn before moving to Clifton Villa, Broomfield Road in the 1890s.
When Mr Anderson died in 1913 the license was transferred to his son Robert Anderson, the following year he had Robert D Paton run the pub for him who then became the license holder. This was probably due to the fact that young Robert went to fight for his country. In 1935 Robert Watson was licensee, the pub was then still owned by the Anderson family. Mr Watson continued to run the pub until the 1950s.
Do you remember George B Graham who ran the pub in 1960-70 or Donald R C Dunlop who became licensee in 1972. The pub closed late 1970s and was demolished shortly afterwards.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.