306 Garscube Road, corner of 2 Sawmillfield Street, Glasgow.
Scott’s sat at the corner of Garscube Road and Sawmillfield Street. Many will remember this old pub as Deery’s.
In 1882 Miss Scott was landlady here, she occupied the premises for a few years before Peter Watson acquired the licence. The Scott family traded in this area since the 1870s.
Peter Watson also owned a small pub at 141 Garscube Road. He gave up the licence in 1905 to John W Hutchison, he traded under the name of MacFarlane & Hutchison. John was also trustee for the late Vincent Sweeney who owned a pub at 29 Castle Street.
Over the years the pub still retained it’s original name “Scott’s.”
During the 1960s James Deery was landlord, the locals called this old pub Deery’s Bar, James went on to open the Inn, Lambhill. As seen from the photograph above the name above the door is Wines & Spirits. The pub was demolished shortly afterwards.
The photograph above was taken at the Glasgow Vintners function in the Bellahouston Hotel 1974. Left to right Mr & Mrs Harry Dougan, the Glen Bar, Mrs & Mr James Deery, the Inn, Lambhill, Mrs Byrne, the New Hawthorn Bar, Mr W Lochead, United Rum Merchants.
In 1960 James Deery had pubs at 306 Garscube Road and 59 Bantaskin Street. In the same year there was a Michael Deery trading from Deery’s Bar at 44 John Knox Street.
In 1965 James Deery took over an new public house at 735-39 Balmore Road, The Inn.