Ward’s Bar, Parkhead and Partick. 69 Westmuir Street, Glasgow.
91 Westmuir Street, Parkhead, Glasgow.
David Anderson’s Auld Hoose. Circa 1910.
In 1892 the proprietor was Mr David Anderson, the pub was then called the Auld House. Mr Anderson collected antiquarian curios and fixed them on the walls in the bar. Over the years the place became cluttered with unusual things of interest, including a sea horse from the shores of the north of Iceland, in a grand glass, a fin of a whale captured in Rothesay Bay, a four week old crocodile from the eastern empire, the tusks of rhinoceros, antlers and the handle of one of the carriages in the ill-fated Tay bridge accident. Both the interior and exterior had an ancient look about it.
Mr Anderson was a heavy smoker in his time, his wife always said that at night-time he would go outside for a smoke and would not come back in until 11 o’clock. Mr Anderson died in 1919 at his residence the Brae, Springboig and left an estate of £6753.
89 Westmuir Street, Parkhead, Glasgow. G31 5EU. Tel: 01415540420.
The Prince Charlie. 1991.
This pub was originally called William Craib.The locals called it Craib’s.
William Craib was born in 1887, he took over over his first public house at 770 Dumbarton Road when he was only 24 years of age. Two years later he opened up another pub on Dumbarton Road, Partick the old Criterion Bar, a store and bottling premises were later opened which is now the old grain store.
In 1922 William took over an old pub in the east end of the city at 21 Westmuir Street, other premises opened later at the present site. The old pub on Westmuir Street was demolished.
During the 1960 trustee Archibald Kirkland held licence’s for 5 pubs 2 in Westmuir Street, 1 at 618 Dalmarnock Road, 1512 Maryhill Road, 317 Dumbarton Road.
The Prince Charlie, August 2005.
1991 James Savage for Allied Brewers.
1973-1967 David Houston for the late William Craib.
1960 Archibald Kirkland for the late William Craib.
174 Westmuir Street, Parkhead, Glasgow. G31 5BS. Tel: 01415503154.
O’Kane’s photo taken August 2005.
Like many pubs in Glasgow when the name of the establishment changes, the locals will still call the pub by it’s old name, this is what happened to this pub. It was known for many years as O’Kane’s, when the name changed to The Two Bells, many of the locals still called it O’Kane’s and the name was changed back to it’s former title.
In the early part of the 1800s a small two storey cottage sat on Westmuir Street at the corner of Backcauseway, this old house became licensed to sell liquor and was known by the locals as the Auld Hoose. Over the years the licence changed hands until 1879 when David Anderson took over the thriving business. At this time there were three other pubs sitting on Westmuir Street and three licensed grocers. Read more on the Auld House. Click here.
For the next forty years David Anderson held the licence without complaint from the local authorities, his daughter Annie work close by learning all the tricks of the trade from her father.
In the early part of 1900 Westmuir Street was one of the main streets running to Shettleston and had to be widened to cope with the heavy traffic passing, however the Auld Hoose was standing in the way of development as it stood out further than all the other houses and shops in Westmuir Street. The pub had to be pulled down to make way for the widened street.
David Anderson was granted a new certificate and opened a public house across the road from the old premises in 1919. David was now in advanced years and had been confined to his bed for the last few years at his home in Early Brae, Springboig, he died a few months afterwards in April 1920 from Bronchitis. His daughter Annie, who had worked with him in the previous licensed premises applied for a transfer and was refused it. Mr Anderson left an estate valued at £6753, a vast amount of money in those days.
More on David Anderson’ Auld Hoose Click Here
A crowd stand outside O’Kane’s for the opening of the new refurbishment which took 3 months for the modernisation in 1974.
O’Kane is named after Thomas O’Kane. Thomas O’Kane sold his pub on London Road at the corner of Green Street called the Crystal Bar in the early 1950s having owned it prior to 2nd W W and bought the Westmuir Street pub. Initially it was just half the size it is now, there was a café next door, eastwards which he bought and converted it to a lounge bar. He sold it to Tennents about 1960 and bought an off-sales in Langlands Road Govan.
Mr Thomas O’Kane. Thanks to Catherine Kelly.
Over the past years many licence holders have come and gone to serve the locals of Parkhead, Tennent Caledonian Breweries took over the pub in 1960. The licence holder then was a gentleman called Joseph Smillie, he also ran the Dennistoun Bar, Duke Street and pubs in Morrison Street and Stockwell Street.
In 1991 the licensee was Janet Healy, today the pub is still going strong.
Interior view 1974. With David Aitken, divisional controller for T C B, wishing success to John Higgins, manager of O’Kane’s and his staff. Also in the photo is R Skelton, divisional manager extreme left and Mr T Heaney, entertainments manager of T C B extreme right.
The Two Bells. 1991.
1973-1960 Joseph Morrison Smillie.
1937 David Stewart.
1919 David Anderson.
243 Westmuir Street, Parkhead, Glasgow. G31. Now Demolished.
The Anchorage Bar, 1991.
This was known to the locals as low Worton’s after the owners name, high Worton’s was the Anchor Bar on the Gallowgate at Parkhead. Opened around 1910 by the Worton family.
The Anchorage Bar is now long gone. A new housing estate now occupies this site. A real gentleman Mr Tam Waters ran this pub for a few years before it was demolished. Mr Waters went on to successful run a pub in Balornock for years. The old mahogany bar survived until the late 1980s when the bar was gutted it closed shortly afterwards.