577 London Road, Bridgeton, Glasgow. G40 1NE. If you own this pub please give us a phone number.
The Crimson Star. 2005.
The Crimson Star sits at the corner of London Road and Kerr Street, Bridgeton.
Before the railway took over this site in 1876 there used to be a few shops on the site. The first licensee was William Arbuckle.
William Arbuckle was wine and spirit merchant , he was new new to the licensed trade as he acquired a certificate to trade as a wine and spirit merchant at 98 Main Street, Bridgeton in 1869.
William Arbuckle was born in Glasgow in 1844, he married Helen Armour daughter of a well known publican in the east end of the city who had pubs in Broad Street, Stevenson Street, King Street Calton and Main Street, Bridgeton. They lived with their 3 sons and 2 daughters at Morris Place not far from their pub.
William died in his early 40s at which time Helen took control of the business, when she died in 1906 their second eldest son Hugh took over the licence paying an annul rent of £110.00.
When the railway company took over the surrounding ground a new pub was erected for the Arbuckle family. Mrs William Arbuckle took over the licence during the 1920 and the pub stayed in the family until the 1930s.
Mrs Mary Russell Robertson then took over the certificate and ran the pub for over 20 years she also ran a pub at 350 St. Vincent Street, many will remember this old pub as the Tudor Bar..
During the 1970s this old pub was known as “The Regent.”
The Regent. 1991.
The pub is now a rangers shop and has been so for many years, over the past 15 years it has closed down a few times. The pub is now opened under a different name the Crimson Star.
The Crimson Star. 2014.
1991 Raphael Naas.
1973-1969 Colin Maxwell Brown jun.
1950-1937 Mary F Russell Robertson.
1930 Mrs William Arbuckle.
1919-1906 Hugh Arbuckle. as one of the trustees of the late Helen Arbuckle.
1906-1888 Helen Arbuckle.
1888-1876 William Arbuckle.
Do you have any memories of this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.