621 London Road, Bridgeton, Glasgow. G G40 1NE.
The Seven Ways. 1991.
There has been a pub on this site since at least 1862. Parts of London Road then were called Canning Street, Great Hamilton Street and London Street. This part of London Road were the pub sat was then called Canning Street, heading towards Glasgow Cross you hit Great Hamiton Street then London Street.
Landlord William Cook was born in Cambuslang in 1831. At an early age he entered into the licensed trade, he lived in New Dalmarnock Road before moving back to Cambuslang with his wife Jane. Business at Cook’s public houses prospered and in the 1880s William employed 15 men in his establishments which consisted of Clyde Street now Abercromby Street, South Albion Street and Great Hamilton Street, with business so good the Cook’s were fortunate enough to have two domestic servants in their home. William continued to hold the certificate for this pub until 1882, the licence was then transferred to William Johnston. Mr Johnston also ran a pub on St. George’s Road and a licensed grocers business on Preston Street. The Johnston family ran the pub until 1920, John Kellegher then took over, he ran the Royal Bar, Gallowgate, the Douglas Arms, Gallowgate, premises on Caledonia Road, Gorbals and Albert Road.
Many locals of this pub will remember Douglas Gibb and his wife Irene who ran the pub during the 1960s and 70s.
Mr Douglas Gibb and his wife Irene with Scottish Television personality Bill Tennent, knocking down a pile of coins left by the locals of the Seven Ways, a total of £20 was raised for the handicapped children. 1969.
Left to right W Mort, manager of William Younger & Co., Mrs Robert McKay, Miss G Grant, John Grant Wine and Food Ltd, Robert McKay, the Snug Bar, Bridgeton. 1957.
The last time I walked passed this pub it had a To Let sign above the door and was closed. The name of the pub had also changed to Whitelaw’s, the same landlord also had Whitelaw’s, Tollcross Road, Parkhead.