309 Dumbarton Road, Partick, Glasgow. G11 Tel: 01413390668.
The Smiddy. 1991.
The Smiddy has been landmark before the beginning of the 1900s. There used to be an old Smiddy Bar here before the red sandstone tenement building was erected, occupied by Donald Munro who sold the business to William Kirkwood.
A well known and respected Glasgow publican got his first job here when he arrived from Ireland in 1895, Patrick McKay. Mr McKay went on to be barman for Thomas Reid in the Bunch of Grapes, Dumbarton Road at the corner of Church Street. To read the full history of Patrick Mckay click here.
Patrick McKay’s son Robert owned the Snug public house, London Road, Bridgeton in 1957. Robert joined the Corps in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, his sister Margaret was also in the forces as a None-Commissioned Officer in the A.T.S.. Patrick McKay, Roberts young brother joined the Merchant Navy as a Cadet, he underwent the usual quick training and was enlisted for overseas service. The ship he sail was lost through enemy action off the African coast in May 1943, he was listed among those assumed lost, he was then only a few days off his 18th birthday.
The Smiddy. 2006.