2562 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow. G14 0PT. Tel: 01419521342.
The Lovat. 1991.
There has been licensed premises here since at least the 1880s. On of the best known publicans to hold a certificate here was Alexander Fraser. Mr Fraser was born in 1876 in Stratherrick near Inverness, the son of a school master turned farmer, he was educated in the Parish school then completed his education at Raining’s School, once famous throughout the Highlands.
Alexander stated in the National Guardian that completing his education was an over statement, he studied there for a certificate which would allow him to follow a profession, but with only a few months to go in his classes, the sudden death of his father put an end to such ideas and ideals.
There was a large family of Frasers, so, to make things easier on the farm, young Alexander at the age of seventeen took a cousin’s advice and came to Glasgow to enter the spirit trade.
After serving a short apprenticeship, he became a licence holder of premises at the East End of the Broomielaw, near the Clyde Trust building. This old pub was named the Inverness Bar. Three years later he took over a pub on Shamrock Street then later the Lovat Arms in Yoker.
His Broomielaw premises were demolished due to the City Council Redevelopment scheme shortly afterwards he disposed of his other pub in Shamrock Street to concentrate on the Yoker premises. Mr Fraser was heavily involved in the Church and was treasurer in the Erskine Parish Church.
Mr Fraser was also involved in the Gaelic movement in Glasgow, he didn’t have the time to learn much of the Gaelic language in his home town and one of the first things he did when he came to Glasgow was to join the Glasgow Invernessshire Society and the Clan Fraser Society. Completing his Gaelic education in Glasgow he was prominently identified with the Gaelic movement for over thirty years.
In 1898 he was one of the founders of the Glasgow Gaelic Musical Association, he was a member for many years and later acted as president. He was also a life member of the Northern Highland Benevolent Association of Glasgow and the Glasgow Celtic Society which he was president. When he took over the Lovat Arms in Yoker he associated himself with the Highland activities in Clydebank and formed the Gaelic choir there which he was a conductor for a short time.
He was also a director of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association and became a member of the Renfrew Parish Council in 1913. In 1918 he became a county councilor for Yoker completing over 20 years service in the county.
Exterior view of the Lovat Arms, 1960s.
The Inverness Bar, Broomielaw.
Mr Alexander Fraser owner of the Lovat Arms, Yoker. 1935.