483 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow. G11 Tel: 01413340615.
The Rosevale. 1991.
In 1893 this was the site of William T Wyllie’s wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchant. Mr Wyllie was the vice-president of the Scottish Licensed Grocers Association. In 1903 the business was taken over by William Baird Taylor Ltd wholesale and export whisky merchants having their offices in Bothwell Street. Baird Taylor Brothers was founded by John Baird in 1832, the firm was running in Great Clyde Street, one of the famous whiskies their firm produced was “Highlander” however “Red Tape” was probably the best-known whisky they had. The firm, later on, opened pubs in Gallowgate, Orr Street, Shettleston Road, Sauchiehall Street and Plean Street.
Have you had an accident at work?
In 1909 William Baird Taylor was taken to court by a mason called Charles Mackay because he sustained an injury by falling down the cellar stairs of his pub on 483 Dumbarton Road.
Luckily Sheriff Davidson dismissed the claim at the Sheriff Court in Glasgow as it was found that the pursuer was allowed to leave his tools in the place for safekeeping. The waiter put the tools in a private room, which he warned him not to enter. Later in the day, Charles Mackay entered the room without permission, where there was an open trap-door leading to the cellar.
The Sheriff in a “note” remarked that the pursuer’s presence in the private room was a trespass.
In 1923 the Rosevale was born, John Grant well known in the trade for his hotels and restaurants took over. Mr Grant owned some of the best establishments in the city including the Royal Restaurant in West Nile Street, Rogano in Royal Exchange Place, Grant Arms in Argyle Street he also owned the Grand Central Hotel, Belfast and the Buchanan Arms Hotel, Dryman. It is interesting to note that it was the Grant family who made Rogano famous for its good food.
John Grant died in 1945 leaving a massive fortune od over £870 thousand, before his death he lived at 40 Queensborough Gardens in the west end of the city, his two servants were left £200 each. He owned large quantities of spirits in distilleries throughout Scotland, these included 43,689 gallons of whisky, which realised £655,342 at the rate of £15 per gallon and also several thousand gallons of port and sherry. Wines & spirits in premises owned by him were worth £46,163 while his wholesale wine & spirit business at the Grant Arms, Argyle Street realised £20,000. His son D C Grant then took control of the firm. The Rosevale stayed in the Grant family for over 50 years.
The Rosevale 1930s.
Another view of the Rosevale 1960s.
Mr W H Wyllie.