243 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow. G11 6AB. Tel: 0141 334 4579.
In 1937 John Adam Broadfoot acquired a licence to sell wines, spirits and beer at new premises at 243 Dumbarton Road. The shop was formerly owned by Alexander D Jenkins, a Plumber and Gas-fitter. John was not new to the licensed trade as he had premises at 233-235 Dumbarton Road only a few yards away and 164 Milton Street from 1935.
When this pub first opened Mr Broadfoot had to employ a commissionaire to welcome customers at the door as it was so busy on Friday and Saturday nights. The Neuk had a striking appearance from the outside. The front was constructed of black vitrolite with a base of glass brick, behind which was situated lights of different colours which combine to give an attractive diffused light effect. In the Neon sign was cleora gas, which gave out a vivid green light. The Neuk was one of the first public houses in Glasgow to have this kind of gas, which was comparatively new.
Inside, the premises were both artistic and comfortable. The bottles were shown to advantage on the chromium and glass gantry. The front of the counter was of glass brick, and here again had lights at the back – red in the centre diffusing through orange to green and all blended together in a most striking way.
Accommodation consisted chiefly of the public bar, an alcove, and a sitting-room. With the lights in the roof, giving a sun-light affect, the alcove was particularly pleasant. The sitting-room at the back, with its walnut panelling, was also an attractive place.
On the walls were designed modern abstracts representations of cocktail glasses, beer mugs, etc. The tables in the various parts of the premises were low and of a pleasant design. They had black spirit proof tops. The stools were also artistic. “Staybrite” steel (Chrome) was used for the fittings which were supplied by Messrs Gaskell and Chambers, Ltd. A commodious cellar was situated underneath the bar.
Mr Broadfoot formerly had a public house at 233-235 Dumbarton Road. After being in it for nearly two years he had to look around for new quarters because the property was bought by the Odeon Cinema. Mr Broadfoot was the first member of his family to enter the Trade. He learned the trade with Messrs Bennett Bros., Partick, with whom he was employed from 1915 till 1933. During that time he gained experience in practically every branch of the Trade.
On leaving Messrs Bennett Bros, he took out a certificate for premises at 164 Milton Street, and started business on his own behalf.
By 1950 John’s wife Elizabeth was the licensee for both Milton Street and Dumbarton Road pubs.
Storm Queen. 2014.
The Grain Hopper. 2015.
The Grain Hopper lasted for a few years then back to the Storm Queen.
2018 Storm Queen.
Thanks to Norrie McNamee for the images.
1990 Irene Bannister for Scottish & Newcastle Breweries.
1974 The Storm Queen.
1972 Charles McGlynn.
1967 J Smith.
1960 James Kelly.
1958 Elizabeth Campbell.
1941 John A Broadfoot.
1937 John A Broadfoot.
1936 A D Jenkins, Plumber and Gas-fitter.
Do you know anything about this pub? If so please leave a comment.