469 Dumbarton Road, Partick, Glasgow. G11 6EJ. Tel 01415691011.
Windsor Tavern. 1991.
This well established Partick local was known in the 1890s as the Windsor licensed restaurant. The owner Robert R Davidson was a native of Aberdeen and the son of a well respected member of the trade in the granite city.
The old restaurant had a bar counter close to the entrance, while at the end of the corridor, comfortable dinning rooms well lit and ventilated with a fire burning in the grate, private sitting rooms upholstered could accommodate small parties, the Windsor was an upmarket restaurant and one of the best places to dine in the Partick area.
Mr & Mrs Davidson celebrated their silver wedding anniversary in 1899, they invited friends and family to a reception, supper and dance at the Academy Rooms, Partick, they were entertained by the Royalty Theatre orchestra, the dance was led off by George Davidson brother of the host and miss Davidson. A large number of friends in the licensed trade were also present including William Bowie.
The restaurant and bar was run by William McConachie from 1902 until the end of the First World War. Over the years the pub has expanded taking in adjacent shops, today the pub is still well run and very popular.
The Windsor. 1931.
The present licensee is Louise Train. She took over the pub from Pat Padden in November 2007. Pub still going great guns today.
Keep up the good work. Thanks for the email Stevie Train.
Mr Robert R Davidson. 1899.